SASKATCHEWAN ADVOCATE FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH
THE ADVOCATE FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH IS AN INDEPENDENT OFFICER OF THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF SASKATCHEWAN. THE ADVOCATE LEADS A TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS TO ADVOCATE FOR THE RIGHTS, WELL-BEING, AND INTERESTS OF CHILDREN AND YOUTH IN SASKATCHEWAN.
WHAT CAN SASK ADVOCATE DO FOR YOU?
– Advocacy on behalf of children and youth receiving services from a provincial, ministry, direct or delegated agency or publicly funded health entity.
– Investigations into any matter concerning or services provided to children and youth by a provincial ministry, direct or delegated agency or public funded health entity.
– Public Education to raise awareness of the rights, interests, well-being of children & youth.
– Research and advise any minister responsible on any matter relating to the rights, interests, and well-being of children & youth.
SASKATCHEWAN’S CHILDREN & YOUTH FIRST PRINCIPLES:
All children & youth in Saskatchewan are entitled to:
– Those rights defined by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
– Participate and be heard before any decision affecting them is made.
– Have their ‘best interests’ given paramount consideration in any action or decision involving them.
– An equal standard of care, protection, and services.
– The highest standard of health and education possible in order to reach their full potential.
– Safety and protection from all forms of physical, emotional and sexual harm, while in the care of parents, governments, legal guardians or any person.
– Be treated as the primary client, and at the centre, of all child serving systems.
– Have consideration given to the importance of their unique life history, spiritual traditions & practices, in accordance with their stated views and preferences.